These bars are a really wholesome, healthy snack for any time of day. They are not too sweet and give you a crunchy and chewy bar all in one. Try this for breakfast too! You can use your imagination and add the nuts you like best or the dried fruit that’s your favorite. Examples would be raisins, walnuts, dates, etc. I picked the ones in this recipe because they are my family’s favorites. I know you and your family will enjoy this healthy treat!
Nutrition: per bar -calories 134.3, fat 4.3 g, carbs 23.8 g, fiber 3 g, sugar 13.3 g, sodium 15.6 mg, protein 4.2 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 4
Wholesome Snack Bars with Flax and Wheat Germ
Makes 16 bars
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 6 tbsp toasted wheat germ
- 2 heaping tbsp Bobs Red Mill flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup pastry flour or plain white flour
- 3/4 cup un-blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters or any egg substitute
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apricot all fruit spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; line a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick foil allowing the excess foil to extend over the rim of the pan by at least 2 inches.
- Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- In a mini chopper or food processor, add the oats, wheat germ, and flax meal, and process until finely textured. Pour into a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cut up the apricots a little and place into the chopper along with the cranberries, almonds and sunflower seeds. Process until finely chopped. Place this mixture into the mixing bowl.
- With a rubber spatula, mix the two together.
- Add the Egg Beater with the vanilla, salt, cinnamon and honey. Mix to combine all ingredients.
- Place the mixture into the prepared pan and press to form an even layer.
- Bake until firm and browned along the edges, about 20-30 minutes.
- Turn the pan around after 11-12 minutes for even baking.
- As soon as they come out of the oven, spread the apricot glaze (previously warmed and softened in the microwave for 15 seconds) with a pastry brush over the entire top of the bars. Put back in the oven for 3 minutes with the oven off.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan on a wire cooking rack.
- When cooled, lift the bars from the pan using the foil as handles. Peel off the foil and place on a cutting board and cut into 16 bars. Enjoy!