Coconut Berry Sorbet
I am so happy to share this simple and refreshing Coconut Berry Sorbet recipe. Homemade sorbet is a healthy, delicious dessert that takes less than five minutes to make.
Why spend four dollars or more for a cup of sorbet or frozen yogurt when you can make this much healthier coconut berry sorbet at home, without all the added sugar and carbs.
I hope you enjoy this simple, wonderful coconut berry sorbet treat.
What is Sorbet?
Sorbet is a frozen dessert traditionally made from a base of flavored water, sugar and fruit.
The flavoring usually comes from fruit puree, fruit juice, honey, liqueur or honey.
Sherbet vs Sorbet
People often interchange sorbet with sherbet and while they are similar, they’re not the same.
Here’s the main difference between sherbet and sorbet: sherbet contains dairy ingredients and sorbets do not contain dairy ingredients.
Sherbet and Sorbet Pronunciation
These desserts are said to originate from ancient Persia, so it makes sense the name isn’t a typical English pronunciation.
The pronunciation for sherbet is “SHER-but.” Some people do pronounce it, “SHER-bert,” but that is less common.
And for the sorbet pronunciation, go with “SOR-bey.”
In this homemade sorbet recipe I’m recommending working with strawberries and blueberries but really, you can use any fruit you have on hand or in the freezer.
Think of this sorbet recipe as your basic template and add a little creativity every time you try it!
Seriously, let your inspiration guide you. Sorbet ice cream, possible. Strawberry sorbet? Definitely. How about acai sorbet? Absolutely. Oh, and don’t forget about watermelon sorbet. Now THAT is a treat!
Homemade sorbets exactly like store bought sorbets, its base has a combination of fruit or fruit juice, water and sugar. That’s it!
But this strawberry sorbet recipe is even healthier than your basic berry sorbet.
I always add some coconut milk and flaxseed meal for added nutrients and flavor. And instead of sugar I use agave and Stevia.
Of course this is a basic template for homemade sorbet, not an exact science. Try it my way, and see what you think. And then add your own sorbet ingredients to make your unique homemade sorbet.
Nutritional’s for 4 servings:
- calories 66.5
- fat 3.9 g
- carbs 7 g
- fiber 2.4 g
- sugars 4.6 g
- sodium 1.5 mg
- protein 1.1 g
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk, Chilled, place in fridge for at least 2 hours before you make this.
- 1 cup frozen sliced strawberries, the package should say only strawberries, no sugar
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, same as the strawberries, no sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal. I used golden
- 1 tbsp agave, honey, date syrup, or coconut nectar
- 2 small packets all natural Stevia or to taste, this is optional, you can add coconut sugar, date sugar, or 1 tbsp granulated sugar. All are options.
How to Make Sorbet
- Pour the chilled coconut milk along with the flaxseed meal into a blender and whirl for about 30 seconds.
- Place the rest of the ingredients into the blender and blend until you have a nice sorbet consistency.
- Enjoy right away or you can store the sorbet up to 3 days in the fridge but the consistency will start to change a bit
Try These Other Healthy Recipes!
Thanks for stopping by today! I hope you found some favorite recipes to try and share with family and friends. You can easily save any recipe for later on by pinning on Pinterest. Remember to scroll up to print out today’s featured recipe. Stop back again soon, new recipes go up regularly.
Bye for now…