After making so many baked potatoes over the years, I finally came up with my version of the perfect baked potato. Just with these few steps, you too can have that perfect fluffy baked potato like the ones in the steak restaurants. Try this out, it works for me every time. Enjoy! See our two interesting facts about potatoes right here…All Things Potatoes – Potatoes and Their Benefits
How To Make The Perfect Baked Potato
Yields 1 baked potato
1 large russet potato
- kosher or sea salt, about 1/4 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash potato(s) with cold water, if needed use a potato brush. Dry with paper towels.
- Using a fork, poke 9 to 12 holes all over each spud. This lets moisture escape during cooking.
- Place in a bowl and coat lightly with oil. Sprinkle with salt and place potato directly on rack in middle of oven. Place a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch any drippings or spills.
- Bake 1 hour or until skin feels crisp but beneath should feel soft and slightly squishy.
- Using oven mitts , remove spud from oven and place on serving plate. Using a clean kitchen cloth or mitts to hold, make a crisscross in the middle of each potato then, squeeze gently to make it pop in the middle. Just like the photo above.
- Serve anyway you like with a pat of butter, sour cream, plain Greek yogurt, melted cheese. Or, just plain. It’s delicious!