Nut covered chicken has become very popular in my house. My son says that if I am not sure what to do with the chicken for dinner that I can always cover it in nuts – so I stay prepared by keeping a variety in my freezer.
As much as he is happy with plain nutty chicken, my daughter thinks everything should be layered in flavor. The apple bacon relish satisfied this need.
Cashew Chicken with Apple Bacon Relish
Serves 4 to 6
- 6 thick chicken cutlets
- 3/4 cup cashews, toasted & finely chopped
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper
- 4 slices of thick bacon, diced
- 1 to 2 apples (depending on size), diced
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- In a 400 degree pre-heated oven toast the cashews for 5 minutes. Or, in a dry pan, toast for just a few minutes until you smell the aroma of the nuts or slightly toasted. Allow to cool then chop finely with a mini food processor or knife.
- Combine chopped cashews with breadcrumbs. Season with salt & pepper.
- Coat chicken in breadcrumb mixture then brown in a hot pan with oil. When done rest on a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Dice the bacon and sauté until browned.
- Add diced apples, maple syrup, apple juice and pumpkin pie spice to the pan with the bacon. Cook on medium-high until apple begin to soften. A slight crunch to the apple compliments the dish.
- Serve the chicken with the apple bacon relish. Enjoy!