Easy Steps To Frosting A Cake – Here are 4 easy and simple steps for frosting a single or double layer cake. Happy frosting!
For over 25 years I have been in the food business. I was a caterer in Atlanta before moving back to New York. Soon after I got married and managed a health club. That didn’t stop me from baking up a storm. I loved baking then and still do for my family and friends and of course being a food blogger, I bakes a whole bunch more. After frosting so many cakes for so many years, I found these are the best steps to frosting a single or double layer cake. Try them out, it works for me and it will work for you too!
Easy Steps To Frosting A Cake
1. First, make your own cake stand in two seconds
- If you happen to have one great. If you don’t have one, take a bowl turn it upside down and place a large plate on top. You have a makeshift cake stand.
2. Prepare for frosting
- Place a few pieces of parchment paper strips under the edges of the bottom of the first layer of cake. This way if you drip, you can just slide the paper out when finished and you have a nice clean plate.
- Dollop a tablespoon of frosting on the plate or stand before putting your first layer down. This will prevent the cake from sliding.
3. These next steps will help with a beautiful looking cake
- Take a pastry brush and gently brush off the cake of any loose crumbs.
- Place the cake layers in the freezer or fridge for 10 minutes. This helps the cake stay intact.
- Let’s do the crumb method, take a small amount of frosting and thin it out just a bit. Spread on a thin coating of frosting all over the layers. Don’t worry if you get crumbs on the spatula, clean it off and then let the cake layers sit for about 10 minutes back in the fridge.
4. Using a large offset spatula…
- Place a large dollop of frosting on your first layer, try to only spread in one direction.
- Gently place the second layer on top of the frosted layer. Gently press down.
- Now, take an even larger dollop of frosting on the top layer and frost the same way as the first layer. One direction.
- After you have finished the top layer, start on the sides. If you have to clean the spatula here and there do so in case any loose crumbs appear.
- After you have completely frosted the cake, smooth the sides and top and then gently make any swirls for a pretty presentation. Do this with a smaller offset or regular spatula.
- Slide the parchment paper out very slowly. Wipe around any frosting that may still be there. You are done!
Happy Frosting and enjoy your masterpiece!