This cake is a snap to make and everyone loves it as a dessert or a brunch item. Enjoy the deliciousness!
This wonderful cake is especially delicious in the spring and summer when fresh blueberries are in season and are the sweetest (although it is great any time of year). If you don’t have fresh blueberries around then you may use frozen as well (defrost them and rinse and dry between paper towels first). Not only is this cake refreshing and light with a great crunch from the cornmeal, it is also easy to make and displays beautifully at parties. I highly recommend it.
Nutrition: calories 101, fat 2.7 g, carbs 17.4 g, fiber 1.2 g, sugar 10.4 g, sodium 89.1 mg, protein 2.2 g
Blueberry Lemon Crunch Cake
Yields: 8 servings
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp low fat buttermilk
- 1 large or extra-large egg
- 2 tbsp butter — melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 cups blueberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp lemon zest — or to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, spray an 8 inch round nonstick baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Use a wire whisk to mix.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently mix the buttermilk, egg, melted butter and vanilla. Mix until combined and do not over mix. Let the batter sit for a couple of minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the blueberries, 2 tbsp granulated sugar, and cinnamon in a separate medium bowl. Mix very gently to keep the blueberries whole.
- Mix the batter once more and pour into prepared baking pan. Gently spread the blueberries evenly over the cake.
- Bake for about 25-35 minutes; after 15 minutes turn the pan around for even baking. Check cake after 25 minutes; a tooth pick or wooden skewer should come out clean. The cake will look beautifully golden in color when ready.
- Let the cake cool for about 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with the powdered sugar and lemon zest. Serve warm.