Recently we had dinner in a local diner and my husband ordered flank steak. Not something he usually orders. Anyway, he said it was so tender and had a bold flavor that was really tasty. I figured can’t hurt to ask the waiter if he knew how they made the steak. It was called “Braised Flank Steak” He said he thinks they cook the meat with bear in a slow cooker. That’s all I needed to hear. The next week, I bought the steak and made up this recipe. My hubs loved it and said it was better than the diner. It was our “Date” night dinner. It’s a very easy recipe thanks to the trusty slow cooker as well as being a healthier way of eating steak. Just one more thing, we had plenty of leftovers, you can freeze it or better yet, make yourself a cold steak sandwich on a nice crusty roll the next day.
Beer Braised Slow Cooker Flank Steak
- 2 lbs. flank steak, trimmed of all fat
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1 1/4 cups light beer
- Mix together all of the spices and rub onto the flank steak
- Heat a grill or skillet over medium high heat. Drizzle grates with olive oil or heat in skillet.
- Grill or sear the steak for 2 minutes on each side
- Add to the slow cooker. Pour beer and stock over top. Cook on low for 8 hours until tender. Slice up and enjoy!