Thanks to my dearest friend Regina for this most tasty slow cooker chicken recipe. The curry spices are just right for a perfect family favorite. Try this soon, it’s totally delicious. Enjoy!
Thai curry is definitely a go to flavor when at the restaurant, but it is always too spicy for the kids. By making this version at home I can adjust the heat to suit their taste. Also, by using the slow cooker our dinner is ready after a busy day running them around.
Slow Cooker Curry Chicken
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground curry
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 28-oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cashew or almond butter
- 1 cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Add the following to your slow cooker: butter, onions, garlic, and ginger. Blend ingredients while spreading butter around sides and bottom of cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, brown sugar, chili powder, ground coriander, curry, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir.
- In a separate bowl mix the cashew or almond butter with the broth, then add to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook sauce on low 5 to 8 hours.
- While the sauce is cooking, cut the chicken into bite size pieces and sauté in the oil of your choice. Set aside.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the sauce until smooth. Then add the Greek yogurt or sour cream. Stir well.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken with the sauce and serve over hot rice. Check this out on how to make perfect white rice, http://pamsdailydish.com/how-to-make-perfect-white-rice/
- Top with cilantro.