These cupcakes are total deliciousness with the creamy, fluffy frosting and light cupcakes. Bake a batch soon and enjoy!
This scrumptious cupcake was inspired from a recipe I saw in a Betty Crocker cookbook. I liked the almond theme of this cupcake and decided to make it with a cake mix and almond flour. They came out fantastic. The small amount of almond flour gives these cupcakes a nice little crunchy texture yet still light as air. Seltzer also adds to the great texture. Can’t forget the caramel frosting, it’s divine. Check this easy recipe out.
Almond Cupcakes with Fluffy Caramel Frosting
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist yellow or white cake mix
- 1/4 cup plus 2 almond meal flour
- 10 ounces plain seltzer
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup 1 % milk more if needed at the end of mixing the frosting
- 1 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- half a pinch of salt
- toasted slivered almonds for garnish and crunch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line 2 muffin pans with foil baking cups. Make sure you use the foil cups because the paper ones may stick. Spray lightly with cooking or baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the batter ingredients. Using an electric mixer, beat the batter until nice and fluffy. This may take about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and dig down to make sure all the dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl and set in the fridge for about 15 minutes then take out and fill the muffin cups. Bake about 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly golden on top. The muffins should spring back and a toothpick should come out clean or with dry crumbs. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes then flip them out of the pan and let cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and using a whisk, mix well. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Switch over to a rubber spatula if needed. Get into the corners to incorporate the sugar into the butter. Now reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Warm the milk in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Stir into the butter mixture. Return to a boil for about 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat, add the vanilla extract and half pinch of salt. Stir and set aside until cooled off. This should take about 30 minutes. After, transfer the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and using a heavy spoon or spatula mix well. You can use a wire whisk if you need to. If the frosting is too thick, add a little cold milk and mix until nice and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes and top with toasted almonds. Enjoy!!