This delicious salad is a “copycat” of one I recently had at a favorite restaurant we frequently go to. It was on their special menu and it was calling my name. The dressing was a warm honey mustard and it was so good, I was able to duplicate that as best as I could as well. The recipe is so easy to put together especially if you buy the butternut squash already cut up at the market like I did. Try it soon, it’s a winner!
Warm Kale Salad With Butternut Squash Pears Beets, and Toasted Pecans
Makes 1 large serving or 2 small side servings
- 1 large bag cut up baby kale lettuce or regular kale, that has already been washed
- 2 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 package cubed butternut squash, about 2 cups
- 1 small can whole beets, drained and rinsed
- 1 fresh pear, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup pecans lightly toasted in a dry pan for about 1 to 2 minutes
- 1 1/2 tbsps good quality honey
- 1 1/2 tsp good quality Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 pinch pepper
- 1 -1 tbsp boiled water that has cooled a bit
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- First thing, once oven is preheated, place cubed squash on cookie sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil with a little salt and pepper. Toss until coated and bake for about 25 minutes or fork tender.
- When the squash is almost done, start your kale. In a large nonstick pan, drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss your kale in. It will start to wilt very shortly. Toss the beets into the pan and get those warmed up, you can also put them in the oven for about 10 minutes with the squash as well.
- While everything is ready to plate up, you can mix up your dressing. I do this in a little bowl. Mix the mustard, honey, salt, pepper and hot water and with a fork or mini whisk until all is combined well.
- Your salad is ready to plate up, start with the kale and start layering from there ending with the toasted pecans. Then, drizzle the dressing. Enjoy this healthy and colorful salad.