I have been making these cookies for so long that I do not remember where I originally found the recipe. The delicious lemon flavor is great anytime of the year. One of my sister’s favorite’s.
Since this recipe calls for the ribbon attachment of a cookie press they come out really thin. I guess you could roll the dough into a log and slice thinly after it has been chilled. It might be the same or who knows even better. I have never deviated from the directions. I am sure it would be great either way. It’s all about the flavor of the dough.
Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 3-oz pkg. softened cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat oven to 375.
- Sift flour with baking powder.
- Mix butter with cream cheese. Add granulated sugar and mix thoroughly. Add egg, lemon rind and 1 tbsp lemon juice; mix well.
- Combine with flour mixture.
- Chill for about 1/2 hour.
- Force through ribbon disk in a cookie press onto an un-greased cold cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden.
- Mix the confectioners sugar with 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- When cookies are cool dip one end of each into the glaze. (I like to use a pastry brush to spread the glaze over half of the cookie lengthwise)