Halloween is such a fun holiday for the whole family. My kids and I love decorating the house and especially the outside. My son goes crazy with the scary decorations. He asked me to make a scary cupcake. So, here is my version. It’s so easy using a boxed mix and frosting. Just add your favorite food coloring along with funny and spooky decorations. Boo!
Vanilla Halloween Cupcakes with Fluffy Purple Frosting
Yields between 18 – 24 regular size cupcakes
- 1 white cake mix
- 2 tubs white frosting
- 1 can seltzer
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- food coloring
- decorations for the top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, place foil or paper cupcake liners in two 12 cupcake pans or a 24 cupcake pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, dump mix and with a whisk, break up any little clumps. Add the rest of the ingredients except frosting and food coloring. Mix well to combine. You can use an electric mixer and beat for 2 minutes or whisk by hand. Make sure you use a rubber spatula to dig down deep and incorporate all dry ingredients into the wet.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, pour batter into prepared tins. Bake for about 15- 17 minutes. Check after 12 minutes. Tops should spring back and dry crumbs should be on toothpick when tested. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Open frosting tub, add food coloring right into the frosting tub. Remember to follow the directions as to how many drops for the right color. Mix well with a small rubber spatula or spoon.
- When cupcakes are cool, have fun frosting and adding all your favorite decorations.
HAPPY AND SAFE HALLOWEEN!