Here’s a quick and easy throw together dessert that is not only delicious but a healthy one too. Enjoy every bite!
This recipe came about many years ago while I was living in Atlanta. I had a few friends come over last minute and realized I had nothing to serve them. Always having been a foodie, I panicked. I had a few waffles and some ice cream in the freezer and voila! I had a fun looking dessert to serve to my friends. Since I now always like to keep low fat, healthy goodies around, I almost always have whole wheat waffles in the freezer and, of course, low fat/low sugar ice cream too. Here is my new and much improved version of that dessert from all those years ago. Oh, and by the way, check out how much fiber is in this recipe!
Nutrition: calories 197, fat 1.5 g, carbs 44 g, fiber 7.2 g, sugar 19.4 g, sodium 308 mg, protein 5.7 g
Grilled Pineapple Waffle Sundae
Makes 1 serving
- 1 Eggo Nutra Grain low fat whole wheat waffle
- 1/2 cup low fat vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream of choice
- 1 medium to thick pineapple slice — use fresh if possible (they are out of this world!)
- 1 tbsp Hershey’s dark chocolate syrup
- 1 serving, 2 tbsp light aerosol whip cream
- 1/2 tsp butter
- Cooking spray — butter flavor or coconut spray works best for this recipe
- Spray a non-stick grill pan (or skillet if you don’t have a grill pan) with cooking spray. Then add the butter. Melt. Keep on medium heat.
- Place your pineapple slice in the pan and let brown for a few minutes,
- Flip pineapple over and do the same for the other side.
- In the meantime, toast your waffle.
- Place your toasted waffle on a serving plate, put the pineapple slice over and scoop out your half cup of ice cream over the middle of the pineapple.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup over the plate and go ahead and enjoy this absolutely decadent treat! This is so filling; it’s a nice dessert to share.