Healthy Buttermilk Apple Muffins are such a treat yet are made with wholesome, healthy ingredients. Great for breakfast and even dessert. Bake a batch soon and enjoy!
These muffins are so moist and delicious. By adding buttermilk, it gives them a wonderful light texture for the most wonderful muffin. They are a family favorite. I love baking these with my kids. My daughter Tori knows this recipe by heart and doesn’t even need to look at the recipe anymore. Try this for your family. I bet it will be a big hit with them as well.
Healthy Buttermilk Apple Muffins
Yields: 12 muffins
Nutrition: calories 161, fat 4 g, fiber 2.4 g
For the muffins:
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 4 tbsp. butter, softened to room temperature or slightly softened in the microwave. Do not melt completely.
- 4 ounce jar baby food applesauce
- 1 egg plus one egg white
- 2 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 small Gala apples, peeled and grated, do this at the last minute before placing into the batter
For the Topping:
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar for dusting after the muffins are baked and cooled, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, place cupcake liners in a 12 cup muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flours with a wire whisk to lighten up.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the order they are listed except for the apples.
- When all the batter is completely combined, (make sure you go way down to the bottom of the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula to combine all the dry ingredients into the batter) add the grated apples and stir in gently.
- With an ice cream scoop or 1/3 measuring cup, fill the liners up. You will have the right amount for 12 nice large muffins.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir the topping mixture and sprinkle evenly over each muffin.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick or wooden skewer comes out clean or with dry crumbs.
- Cool in the pan on a cooling rack for about 10 to 15 minutes and then invert right onto the cooling rack and let cool another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy this healthy and yummy muffin! .
Recipe Note: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container or fridge for up to 3 days