Donuts are the new darlings of the dessert world these days. The best part of these donuts are they are baked and not fried. Healthier yet still absolutely delectable. Bake a batch today and taste the cakey yumminess. Enjoy!
If you are familiar with the ever popular Wacky Cake. You will love this fun version of the Wacky Donut. Made without eggs or dairy. These were fun to make with the kids. They come out moist and delicious with deep dark chocolate flavor.
Wacky Chocolate Baked Donuts
Yields: about 8 donuts
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat white flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar, I used Trader Joe’s pure cane sugar
- 5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine Kosher or sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp white or cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil, canola, avocado or grapeseed are recommended
- 1 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp water or milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray donut tins with baking spray or cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flours into the bowl along with the sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Whisk when all in the bowl. Set aside for just a minute.
- In a glass measuring cup, pour in water, vanilla, vinegar, and oil. whisk together.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and slowly pour wet ingredients into the middle. Gently stir until all is combined. Try not to over mix but do make sure you dig down to get all the dry flour mixture incorporated into the wet.
- Using a small cookie scoop or teaspoon, fill donut wells 3/4 to the top. You should get about 8 donuts out of the mixture.
- Bake for about 11 to 15 minutes. Try not to over bake. Take out after 11 minutes and gently press on top. Should spring back and a toothpick should come out clean or with dry crumbs. Let cool in pan for about 15 minutes then flip over and they should all pop out. Let cool completely on cooling rack, about 20 minutes.
- To make chocolate glaze, simply place chips and shorting into a glass measuring cup and place in microwave for 35 seconds. Take out and stir. Put back in for another 20 seconds. Stir again and if needed put back in for another 15 seconds. Stir until glossy. With the back of a spoon or spatula, spread a thin layer of glaze over each donut. Let set up at room temperature.
- If using glaze, whisk sugar and milk and drizzle with a fork or spoon over each donut.