Tonight I was going to make a meatloaf for dinner. I just wanted to try and think out of the box though. Had just baked a batch of cupcakes for my sons school and the muffin pan was staring me in the face. Why not meatloaf cupcakes? Wow, these came out terrific! The whole family loved them. See my secret ingredient to make these extra moist and to add some added nutrition without anyone knowing.
Meatloaf Cupcakes – With A Secret Ingredient
Servings 3 – Recipe makes 6 meatloaf cupcakes – 2 per person
- 1 pound lean ground meat, I use beef, chicken or turkey meat, all work great. This time I used ground lean chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs or bread crumbled up, whatever you have on hand
- 3/4 tsp sea or Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp each onion and garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 small jar baby food carrots – this is the secret ingredient
Please note: If the mixture seems to soft or loose, add some more bread crumbs or crumbled up bread. You can also add more oats.
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees, spray 6 muffin cups with olive oil or butter cooking spray. Set aside
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients with a large spoon until combined. You may need to get in there with clean hands to make sure all ingredients are combined. Try not to over mix.
- Using a large ice cream scoop or two large soup spoons, scoop into muffin cups.
- Drizzle a little ketchup on top of each meatloaf muffin.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the tops seem firm. Test by cutting into one or test from the bottom of one cup to make sure meat is completely cooked.
Serve with your favorite potato or pasta. Enjoy!
***This recipe is easily doubled. Great for leftover cold meatloaf lunches the next day.