Vanilla Cupcakes with Two Different Frostings!
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 tsp fine sea or kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp2 canola or any mild oil
- large or extra large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp buttermilk
For Cream Cheese/Butter Cream Frosting:
- 4 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3-4 tbsp milk — depending how thick you like the frosting
- half pinch fine sea or kosher salt
For Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 7 ounce jar Jet-Puffed marshmallow crème, or any brand of marshmallow fluff
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 ounce box powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp more or less depending how thick you like the frosting
Red or Pink Food Coloring:
- for each frosting recipe, start with a few drops until you get desired color
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line your muffin pan with foil liners and have ready to go.
2.In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
3.In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the sugar with the oil until nice and smooth and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until well combined. Add the vanilla extract.
4.Mix in the flour mixture slowly, and then add the buttermilk. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
5.Mix the batter with a rubber spatula and place in fridge for 10 to 15 minutes. This is a very important step. Mix gently after you take out of the fridge.
6.Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups and fill almost 3/4 of the way up. You should have enough batter for 14 cupcakes.
7.Bake for about 15 minutes. Turn the pan around after 7 minutes for even baking. Check with a wooden skewer or toothpick; skewer should come out with moist crumbs. Please do not over bake! We want our cupcakes nice and moist.
8.Let rest in pan for 2 minutes and then place on a cooling rack out of the pan.
Cream Cheese/Butter Cream Frosting Directions:
1.In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and cream cheese until nice and fluffy.
2.Add the salt, vanilla extract.
3.Now start adding in the sugar slowly. You can add in a tablespoon of milk if needed. Keep mixing in the sugar and milk until you reach the consistency you like.
4.With a rubber spatula mix gently and add a few drops of red (or any color you like) food coloring. Place in fridge for about 20 minutes. I do this because I like to put the frosting in piping bags and frost that way. You can use a flat metal spatula to frost as well.
Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting Directions:
1.Add the whole jar of marshmallow fluff in a large mixing bowl. Spraying a rubber spatula with cooking spray makes it much easier to get the fluff out of the jar. Add the softened butter, vanilla extract and pinch of salt.
2.Mix with an electric mixer until nice and fluffy.
3.Start adding your sugar very slowly. Beat after each addition and add a teaspoon of the milk while you are adding the sugar. Keep doing this until all the sugar is added and you have nice fluffy frosting.
4.Add your food coloring until desired shade and mix in gently with a rubber spatula.
5.You can place in piping bag or frost cupcakes with a spatula or butter knife. Have fun!