· 1 pound elbow macaroni noodles, uncooked
· ½ cup butter (1 stick)
· ½ cup flour
· 3 cups milk
· ½ teaspoon onion powder
· ½ teaspoon white pepper
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
· 1 cup shredded gouda cheese (or another cheese of your choice)
1. Bring a large heavy duty pot or Dutch Oven of water to a boil. Salt the water with a few pinches of salt. Then, add the macaroni noodles. Boil the noodles just until al dente. Drain the noodles and gently stir the noodles once. Now, set aside.
2. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk to combine. Allow the butter and flour mixture to cook over medium heat for 1 minute. This is an important step.
3. Add the milk slowly one cup at a time, whisking each addition into the butter and flour until well combined before adding the next cup of milk.
4. To the sauce, add the onion powder, white pepper, and salt.
5. Allow the sauce to simmer over medium heat for3-5 minutes until thickened, stirring very often to prevent the sauce from sticking and burning.
6. Add the cheeses and whisk into the sauce untilcompletely melted. Remove the cheese sauce from the heat.
7. Add the cooked macaroni noodles and gently stir well. Serve the macaroni and cheese and enjoy!