Love this simple recipe for Oyee Gooey Caramel Brownies – Everyone you serve them to will love them and so will you. Enjoy every gooey, chocolate bite!
This delicious gooey brownie recipe was inspired by The Pioneer Women’s cooking show. I changed things around to make it my own. With very few ingredients, this is really easy to prepare. My whole family loved them and hope your family will too.
Oyee Gooey Caramel Brownies
Yields: 9 to 12 brownies
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 plus 1/2 cup evaporated milk, not sweetened condensed milk
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans or you can leave out.
- 50 caramels, unwrapped
- 3/4 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9 X 9 inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
Pour 1/3 cup evaporated milk into a mixing bowl with the cake mix. Add the melted butter and the chopped pecans. Mix the ingredients together; it will be very thick.
- Divide the dough in half down the middle. Press half of it into the bottom of the prepared pan to make the first brownie layer. Bake until slightly set, 8 to 10 minutes. Then remove from the oven and set aside.
While the brownie layer is baking, in a double boiler, combine the caramels and the remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk. Stir until the caramels are melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour the caramel mixture over the first baked layer. Sprinkle the chocolate chips.
- Now, on a sheet of waxed paper, press the remaining dough into a square shape slightly smaller than the baking pan. Place on top of the chocolate chip layer. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the brownies cool to room temperature. Cover the pan and refrigerate the brownies for at least 2 hours to allow them to set.
- Remove from fridge, cut into 9 or 12 squares.