My dearest friend Regina has shared her Nonna’s favorite A La Vodka Sauce with a few twists to suite her family’s requests. Enjoy this authentic and amazing recipe!
A note from Regina…My daughter’s favorite pasta sauce is A La Vodka. She loves the creaminess of it with the little bits of prosciutto and tomato in every forkful. What she doesn’t know is that I have taken Nonna’s recipe and made some slight adjustments to make it a smidgen more healthy.
Nonna’s A La Vodka Sauce
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 lb. prosciutto (I used 1/4 lb., but you can omit it all together)
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup fat free half and half or you can use heavy cream or regular half and half
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- penne pasta
Directions: Cook pasta as per directions on package while preparing sauce…
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add garlic and cook until golden brown over medium heat.
- Add hot pepper. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add shallots and prosciutto. Cook for about 3 minutes until the onions are translucent and the prosciutto is browned.
- Add vodka and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add tomatoes and cream. Simmer for 15 minutes until heated through and the desired consistency is reached.
- Check for salt and pepper. Then, serve over pasta.