One holiday morning when the kids were very young my mother-in-law came over with this delicious breakfast casserole. Not only did it smell incredible, it got the kid’s stamp of approval.
Mema’s Baked French Toast
- 1 loaf of Arnold’s White Bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup light cream or half & half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (or nut of your choice)
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- Butter a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Arrange bread slices, overlapping edges, to fill the pan 3/4 of the way up.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well, then pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients: butter, sugar, nuts, and corn syrup. Mix well, then spread evenly over the soaked bread.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden. Serve hot with your favorite syrup.