Sweet and gooey, that’s the way we love our brownies. Maraschino cherries add the most wonderful flavor to this recipe. Bake a batch and you’ll know what I’m talking about. Enjoy!
My son Josh likes two maraschino cherries in a glass of seltzer when out for dinner. So, when thinking of a new brownie recipe, those little cherries came to mind. I surprised my son with them the other day. When he took a bite, he tasted that familiar flavor and absolutely loved them. The next day he grabbed one and packed it into his lunch bag. They are sweet and gooey. Just the way a brownie should be.
Maraschino Cherry Brownies
Yields: 16 brownies
Nutrition: calories 126, fat 4.8 g
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea or kosher salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar plus 1 Tbsp
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large or extra large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 10 -15 Maraschino cherries, chopped into little pieces
- 1 tbsp Maraschino liquid
- 1 Tbsp milk or water
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray an 8 inch non-stick square pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and cocoa and mix well with a wire whisk to break up any clumps.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well until all is combined and with a rubber spatula, dig deep to the bottom of the bowl to make sure all the dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 22-28 minutes. Try not to over bake. Test with a wooden skewer or toothpick. Should come out with moist crumbs.
- Let cool on a wire rack and then cut when cooled but still a little warm and enjoy!