A healthier version that’s out of this world delish.
Toasted Coconut Chocolate Truffles
- 12 ounce bag semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, use the best quality chocolate you can find with at least 60 percent cacoa
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp canola or any mild oil, avocado or grapeseed are good to use too.
- Have a mini muffin pan lined with paper liners. Set aside until ready to fill.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread coconut in a single layer, use two sheets if needed. Toast in oven for about 8 minutes, rotate pan after 4 minutes and shake pan gently. Check after 6 minutes to see that the coconut is not burned. You want it looking toasted and slightly brown, but not too dark. When finished, take out of the oven and let cool right on the cookie sheet.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler under simmering water. Add the vanilla and oil before the chocolate is melted. Keep stirring until chocolate is nice and shiny and melted.
- Gently toss the coconut into the chocolate mixture that is not off the heat. Combine completely and dollop into each mini muffin cup until all are filled. Tap the pan just a little to remove any air bubbles. Sprinkle any extra toasted coconut over some of the candies. Place in fridge for about 30 minutes until set. Take out and enjoy!