Thick Crispy Chocolate Bars with Peanut Butter Frosting – Rich Dark Chocolate Bars with Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting. The perfect combo. Everyone’s favorite. Enjoy every yummy bite!
Growing up my favorite candy bar was a Nestle Crunch Bar. There’s something about the crispy cereal mixed with creamy chocolate. Then, at a friends house, a friend gave me a peanut butter cup and I fell in love with them. I was not a big PB&J eater until I was introduced to a peanut butter cup. I loved both of these chocolate candy’s so much it was always a hard choice to pick when my mom would take me to the local and very small card/candy shop in my town. I grew up on Long Island, New York. We lived in a very small town with one card and candy store that was combined. On Saturdays after my mom got back from the beauty parlor, looking stunning I must add, she took me and my friend Laurie into the town to see a kids movie. Every Saturday was another movie just for kids. Since the candy was so much more expensive at the theater, she took us to the candy store to buy one and only one candy bar for the movie. Sometimes there was a double feature but in no way was she going to let us get two candy bars. It was a touch choice for a 10 year old to pick just one. That’s how my love of peanut butter and a crunch bar began.
Nowadays, I try to eat healthier for both myself and my family. Being a food blogger, my family has to be my most important food tasters and testers. Since dark chocolate is made without milk and is now said to be a healthy choice, it was apparent it was time to start making desserts with dark chocolate. If you have been on here before, you know we have lots and lots of great dark chocolate desserts some are candy bars such as truffles. This recipe today is one I have been making for more years than I can count. I just never put it on the blog! So, here is the really simple and delicious recipe that is the a blast from the past for me and hopefully a new recipe you will all love like my family and friends already do.
Thick Crispy Chocolate Bars with Peanut Butter Frosting
Yields: 8 to 12 bars
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips, I used a combo of Lily’s Sweets and Enjoy Life
- 1 cup Rice Krispie cereal
- 1 cup brown rice cereal or use all of one cereal
- 2 tbsp agave or any sticky sweetener
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt, less than 1/8 tsp
- 1 tsp coconut oil
For the peanut frosting:
- 2 heaping tbsp natural peanut butter, no sugar or oil added
- 2 heaping tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- colored sprinkles, or nonpareils
- Line a loaf pan or an 8 x 8 inch pan with folded parchment paper. Set aside. A loaf pan will make for a really thick bar as seen in the photo.
- Melt chocolate, vanilla extract, agave and coconut oil in a double boiler or in the microwave for 25 second increments. Stir until completely melted and shiny. Try not to overheat the chocolate.
- Mix in cereal. Make sure you dig deep to incorporate all the chocolate into the cereal.
- Pour into prepared pan. Gently press down with a rubber spatula to make even and level. Keep on counter while heating the peanut butter frosting.
- Heat peanut butter, chocolate and coconut oil the same way as with the bars. Stir to a creamy consistency. While still warm, spread over bars. Toss sprinkles if using and place in fridge for about 30 minutes or until completely set.
- Take out and let sit on counter for a few minutes so it’s easier to cut into bars. Lift the parchment paper and place on sturdy cutting board. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut into squares or irregular shaped pieces.
- Can be left on counter for up to 3 days or store in fridge up to 1 week. When serving, take out and let sit on counter for 10 minute or so to soften up.
ENJOY THIS HEALTHY AND DELICIOUS TREAT!
***Show someone how much you care about them by making a batch of these. They will love you for it.***