This sweet and sour chicken casserole is a snap to prepare and tastes so full of wonderful flavors. It’s always a hit with family and friends. Perfect for a potluck dinner. Enjoy!
My friend Sanja shared this recipe with us a few years ago. It’s so tasty and full of delicious sweet and sour flavors. Her original recipe is still up on the blog but I just revised it a little by adding and taking out a few ingredients to make this a sweet and sour casserole. Both look the same and both taste amazing. Here’s her original recipe….http://pamsdailydish.com/chicken-casserole-with-pineapple-and-garlic/
Make them both and taste for yourself which one suits your fancy.
Sweet and Sour Chicken Casserole
Yields: 4 to 6 servings
Original photo by: Sanja Andreevska
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped into large pieces
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 3/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 1 large sweet red pepper cut into chunks
- 20 ounce can pineapple chunks in juice
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 to 5 small white potatoes cut up
- juice of 1/2 fresh orange
- 1 small can tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water
- more water or stock if neeed
- a handful of black olives, optional
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley for garnish
- Saute onion and garlic with olive oil.
- After 2-3 minutes, add the meat that you previously seasoned with salt, pepper.
- When the meat gets golden color, add finely chopped carrots, peppers and potatoes and add chicken stock. Simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. If using sausage, add now.
- When the water has evaporated, add pineapple with juice, tomato sauce, orange juice, olives if using. Stir and cook another 10 minutes and sauce thickens a bit. Juices will run clear. Chicken should be cooked completely. Add parsley to garnish.
Serve alone or over rice.