This delectable poke cake is a snap to make. It’s so pretty too and always a hit with family and friends. It’s great as a birthday cake since it’s so festive looking.
Sweet and Light Strawberry Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix, I used Betty Crocker
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding, I used sugar free
- 1 box strawberry jello, I used sugar free, plus water and ice cubes for preparation.
- 1 8 ounce tub Cool Whip, I used light
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola or any mild vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 whole fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced in half
- colored sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, spray a glass 13 X 9 cake pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, dry pudding mix, egg whites, vanilla, water and oil. Use a hand mixer and whip until fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Then with a rubber spatula, mix again to make sure all the dry ingredients are mixed thoroughly into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 22 to 30 minutes. Check after 22 minutes. When toothpick comes out clean or with dry crumbs, it’s done. Also cake should spring back when lightly touching the top.
- Cool on wire rack or place in fridge for a few minutes.
- Now, prepare the jello using the fast set option. Do this in a large glass measuring cup. When completely dissolved, set aside for a minute while you poke holes in cake using a large wooden skewer or the end of a wooden mixing spoon. I made lots of pokes.
- Pour the jello over the cake and see it soak in. Place cake back in fridge uncovered for 30 minutes then cover and let set up at least 2 hours. When all set, top with Cool Whip and sliced strawberries. Toss around some sprinkles and put back in fridge for about 20 more minutes. Slice up and enjoy!!!