Submitted By: Liz Hughes
I absolutely love spaghetti squash and this spaghetti squash lasagna is right up my alley. Seriously, I did not miss the layers of pasta. And as my husband says, “we could eat pasta every night and not get sick of it!” This spaghetti squash lasagna is so flavorful, garlicky and cheesy; the squash is just a lovely accompaniment to the rest of the Italian goodness. Even my kids who are not big squash lovers gave this lasagna a whirl, and cleaned their plates.
I also happened upon a really cheap box of organic basil at the grocery store a couple days ago and did not want it going to waste. With the leftover walnuts from Thanksgiving, I made this beautiful basil walnut pesto. It really gives this dish the extra wow factor it so deserves.
This dish is incredibly easy to prepare. The spaghetti squash is easily microwaved and cooks in less than 20 minutes. I used a jarred tomato sauce and thinly sliced the mozzarella instead of grating (honestly-I hate grating!). If you are really pressed for time just buy a prepared pesto. You can have a delicious and healthy dinner within 45 minutes!
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna with Basil Walnut Pesto
- 1 4lb. spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup basil walnut pesto (recipe below)
- 1 1lb. whole milk mozzarella, sliced in 1/4″rounds
- Parmesan Cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place squash, cut side down in a microwave safe glass container. Cover with plastic wrap and pop a couple small holes in it for venting. Cook on high for 15-18 minutes or until squash is soft and scrapes away from skin like spaghetti.
- Scrape out all of the squash and place in a strainer. gently press the squash so it releases some of it’s liquid. Toss squash with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a two quart casserole, layer half of the squash on the bottom. Top with 1 cup of tomato sauce, 6 heaping tablespoons of pesto and half of the sliced mozzarella. Add the second half of squash and layer the rest of the ingredients in the same order. Top with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
- Place in center of oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and cheese in golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Put all of your ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.