Submitted by: Liz Hughes
This Smashed Cauliflower Gratin with Goat Cheese is gluten free and grain free, therefore Paleo. Yet this dish isn’t missing anything. It’s satisfying (if not more) like a heaping pile of mashed potatoes.
Smashed Cauliflower Gratin with Goat Cheese
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 1 3 lb. head cauliflower, trimmed, core removed and cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped medium
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Dash of cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese, divided
- finely chopped fresh chives
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large pot bring salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook for 15 minutes or until very tender. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in nutmeg, cayenne and salt.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine cauliflower, cream cheese, and 2 ounces of goat cheese. Blend until just combined, leaving some whole pieces of cauliflower for texture. In a large bowl combine cauliflower and onion mixture. Adjust salt to taste.
- Put mixture into a buttered 2 quart casserole dish or individual ramekins. Crumble the extra 2 ounces of goat cheese on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned on top and heated through.
- Garnish with chives and serve hot.