This easy corn bread recipe is slightly sweet with a double dose of corn. Has a great texture. Perfect to serve in your breadbasket for holidays and a delicious breakfast too. Enjoy!
When I first got married over 20 years ago I was working out with a trainer who was a vegan and he gave me some great ideas for baking and cooking. In fact I worked at his gym for a while and baked muffins and breads for the clients to snack on after they were done working out. He had a chef that made the most delish pasta dishes along with the best veggie burgers I ever tasted. I wish I had gotten that recipe!
Anyway, here is a version of the corn bread I made for the gym. I add canned, frozen or fresh corn for more texture. You will notice a small banana is in the recipe which is in place of an egg (you won’t even taste it). I know you’ll love it!
Nutrition: calories 168.7, fat 5.5, carbs 30.3, fiber 2.8, protein 3.1
Simple Double Corn Cornbread
Ingredients: Yields 12 pieces
- 1 1/4 cups all natural cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup canned corn drained, or frozen corn, defrosted.
- 1 1/4 cups soy, almond or any milk of your choice
- 1 ripe extra small to small banana
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, I used avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spray an 8 inch square baking pan and set aside
- In a small to medium bowl mash the banana until smooth.
- In a large bowl add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Whisk well with a wire whisk until well combined.
- Add in the banana, soy milk, corn and oil. Mix well but don’t over mix.
- Let the batter sit for 5 minutes and then stir gently once or twice and pour into the prepared pan. Smooth the top.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes. Turn the pan around halfway through baking time. The top will look golden and a toothpick should come out clean.
- Place the pan on a wire cooling rack. Let cool for about 10- 15 minutes before cutting.
Enjoy this healthy treat!