The new wonder food out today seems to be chia seeds and I happen to love them! I add chia seeds to salads, smoothies and of course baked goods. I even sprinkle them over my ice cream. Chia seeds can add crunch to just about anything and are almost flavorless. Not to mention they have great health benefits too. I just came up with this recipe last week and wanted to share it with all of you right away. My family went nuts over them and has already asked me to make them again.
These muffins are great for packing into lunch boxes. My husband likes to take one to the office for a midday snack. By the way, you can find chia seeds in most health food stores, Whole Foods, Fairway, and even in some regular markets due to their growing popularity. I used light colored chia seeds but you can use dark as well (they look like poppy seeds). If it’s as chilly and rainy outside today where you live like it is here on Long Island, you can pair this with a nice hot cup of tea. Please let me know what you think. Enjoy.
Nutrition: calories 129.4, fat 1.1 g, carbs 27.1 g, fiber 2.2 g, sugar 12.7, sodium 321.3 mg, protein 2.5 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 3
Orange Scented Chia Seed Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp unbleached white flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, kosher salt, or table salt
- 1 large or extra-large egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter or vegan spread — melted and cooled a bit
- 2 jars 4 ounce baby food applesauce
- 2 jars 4 ounce baby food carrots or sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup agave nectar or honey
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a muffin pan with liners and mist the liners with cooking spray. Set aside until ready to fill.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg and then add all of the other wet ingredients.
- Now add the dry ingredients.
- Mix well with a rubber spatula until combined completely. Make sure you get all the wet ingredients on the bottom brought up and mixed I, but do not over mix. Let the batter sit for 3-4 minutes.
- Fill each cup using an ice cream scoop. You will have the perfect amount for 12 muffins.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until lightly browned and a wooden skewer or tooth pick comes out clean. Make sure you turn the pan around after 10 minutes for even baking.
- Let cool for at least 20 minutes or so. It will be easier for the paper to peel off.