When I was growing up, my mom played bridge every week either in someone else’s house or in ours. She always made pistachio ambrosia to bring to the other person who was hosting or when she hosted in our house and there was always a dish waiting for me in the fridge. I loved it back then and have not thought about that wonderful treat in so many years until my mom reminded me of it recently, so she dug down and found her recipe. Of course it was made with heavy whipping cream and sugary pineapple. I think this version is just as delish and I can’t wait to make it for my mom. I hope you all enjoy it and make it a family favorite.
Nutrition: (If using coconut, it only adds on 11 calories per serving) – calories 114.6, fat 3.4, carbs 19.8, fiber 1.4, protein 0.9
Old Fashioned Pistachio Ambrosia
Makes 8 servings
- 1 box (4 serving) Jell-O sugar free, fat free pistachio pudding mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice (not drained)
- 1 1/2 cup -2 cups Cool Whip
- 3 Tbs chopped finely pistachios
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sweetened coconut (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together the pudding mix and canned pineapple.
- When all ingredients are combined add in the marshmallows and pistachios. Then fold in the Cool whip. Toss in most of the almonds but leave a few for your garnish.
- Spoon into 8 individual small dessert dishes and sprinkle the almonds and coconut. Enjoy.