Here is a simple and delicious pot roast recipe that’s a staple around my home. It’s great for weeknight dinners. Using my trusty friend the slow cooker, my family and I have a warm and hearty dinner waiting for us after a long day. Try this soon, you will love it the way we do. I serve this with fresh green salad and some crusty bread to soak up the tasty gravy.
Simple Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 2-3 pound beef roast, rinsed and patted slightly with paper towels
- 4 Idaho potatoes washed and cut into cubes
- 1 bag baby carrots
- 1 medium to large onion cut into slices or pieces
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup red wine, optional, or use 1/4 cup more beef broth
- 1 envelope onion soup mix or Knorr’s vegetable soup mix
- 1 cup canned or fresh stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar, optional
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- parsley for garnish, optional
- In a large skillet, heat, oil on medium heat. While that is heating, dust roast with flour and place in skillet. Brown on each side.
- Place roast and any remaining oil drippings from pan into a large slow cooker.
- Place all veggies around and on top of roast. Add broth, wine if using along with dry soup mix. Add tomatoes and sprinkle brown sugar if using.
- Cover and cook in slow cooker for low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Check that meat is tender and ready to take out and slice.
- Plate up with veggies, sprinkle parsley if using and ENJOY!