This recipe has been a favorite for many years. I got the recipe from a friends mom. She is a fabulous Italian cook. Makes the most amazing dishes but, this one I find is the most simple and most delicious. The subtle small touch of cream gives the sauce a velvety texture that’s just delectable. Try this soon, I bet you will love the recipe so much, you will want to make it for company so they can enjoy too.
Simple Rigatoni with Light Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 small shallots or 1 small onion, chopped into fine pieces.
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 28 ounce can crushed or chopped tomatoes, no salt added if available, for chunkier sauce use chopped tomatoes.
- 2 tsp brown sugar, optional.
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup heavy cream that has been warmed up right before adding to sauce. I used 1/8 cup.
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1 – 2 tbsp cooking liquid
- 1 -2 tbsp plus more for sprinkling on top grated parmesan cheese, you can leave this out if you want.
- In a medium to large non stick pan, melt butter, add shallots and cook until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic. Sauté until fragrant. About 1 minute longer. Try not to burn the garlic.
- Add wine to deglaze the pan. Love that sizzle sound and smell. Cook down wine for about 3 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and sugar if using, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, turn down heat to low and let simmer for about 15 minutes. The sauce should thicken a little.
- Add cream. Stir around. Let cook for about 5 minutes on low.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add in 1/4 tsp sea salt. Add rigatoni, stir to break up any noodles. Cook as per package directions. While boiling, take out 1 to 2 tablespoons of cooking liquid and add to sauce. Stir again and let cook on low. Add parmesan cheese, Stir in until melted and combined.
- Drain pasta well, DO NOT RINSE PASTA. Add drained pasta to sauce. Toss around gently to coat all rigatoni.
- Plate up, sprinkle parmesan cheese if adding more. Toss basil and parsley on top.