Simple Pumpkin Apple Cupcakes are sure to become a favorite recipe. Using a cake mix makes for a really easy recipe that turns out a moist and tender cupcake. The fluffy frosting is a winner too. Enjoy every delicious bite!
These cupcakes are so moist and the frosting is nice and fluffy. I like using cake mixes and add my own touches to make them my own creation. They have become a family favorite and maybe with your family too. The combo of the pumpkin and apple juice really works in this recipe. Have fun decorating with your own special touch.
Simple Pumpkin Apple Cupcakes
Yields: 18 cupcakes
Nutritionals: calories 170, fat 4 grams, fiber 1.1 grams
For the cupcakes:
- 1 box vanilla cake mix — or yellow cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites from large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin — not pumpkin pie filling; pumpkin should be the only ingredient listed on the can
- 2 tbsp canola or any mild oil
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice or both
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 1 heaping cup marshmallow fluff — mist a measuring cup with cooking spray for easy removal
- 1 heaping cup whipped cream cheese
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sifted powdered sugar
- Colored sprinkles
- Candy corn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place foil or paper liners in cups and set aside until ready to fill.
- Pour the dry mix in a large mixing bowl. With a wire whisk, loosen up the mix. Start adding all of the ingredients one at a time, and stir with a rubber spatula after each addition.
- When all ingredients are incorporated, change over to a hand mixer. Mix for about 2 to 3 minutes until nice and fluffy.
- Cover the bowl with foil or plastic wrap. Chill batter in the fridge for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take out of the fridge and fill the cupcake tins. I used an ice cream scooper. If you don’t have one, use about 1/3 cup batter for each cupcake. You should have enough for 18 cupcakes.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes; turn pan around after about 12 minutes for even baking. Cupcakes are done when a wooden skewer or toothpick comes out clean or with dry crumbs.
- Cool pan on rack for about 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool on rack until completely cooled.
- While cupcakes are cooling, place all frosting ingredients in a large mixing bowl, whip with hand mixer until fluffy.
- Dollop frosting onto each cupcake. You should have more than enough.
Note: Store in a covered container on counter up to 1 day or in fridge up to 3 days.
Enjoy every yummy bite!