This dessert was one of my catering pies back in Atlanta. It was frequently requested for dinner parties or as a second dessert for bridal or baby showers. The only thing that has changed is now I use the reduced fat graham cracker crust which lowers the fat and calories considerably. The texture is very silky and creamy so it tastes like there is heavy cream in it but of course there is none in this skinny-sized recipe!
Make this early in the morning and it’s ready to go for a lovely dessert any time of day. Dress it up anyway you want with the fruit of your choice; I change the fruit around depending on the season. Enjoy!
Nutrition: calories 167.8, fat 4.1 g, carbs 27.5 g, fiber 1.1 g, sugar 18.7 g, sodium 141.2 mg, protein 3.8 g
Silky And Creamy Citrus Pie
Makes 8 servings
- 2 cups 1 or 2% milk
- 1/4 cup Egg Beaters or any store brand
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp superfine sugar — if you don’t have superfine, regular granulated sugar will be fine to use
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 reduced fat graham cracker crust — I use Keebler but the store brand is fine too.
- Fresh fruit of your choice
- Redi whip or any light aerosol whipped topping — optional for decoration
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, Egg Beaters, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk until the cornstarch has dissolved.
- Stir constantly over medium heat. You want the mixture to come to a quick boil and be thick. As soon as you see it boil, take off the heat. This could take about 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring and add the sugar, lemon and orange juice along with the zest of both fruits.
- When combined, stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into a clean bowl. Use a rubber spatula to get all the mixture through and into the bowl. Scrape the bottom of the sieve to get all the yummy filling. This is an important step to ensure there are no lumps in your filling. Place plastic or wax paper onto the surface and let sit to cool to room temperature.
- When cooled off, spoon filling into the crust. Chill in fridge for at least 2-3 hours.
- When ready to serve, place your choice of fruit in the middle of the pie and on your serving plates. Spray your whipped topping (optional).When serving a slice of pie on your plate, feel free to sprinkle the crumbs from the bottom of the pie on the top if desired for a nice presentation.
Enjoy this luscious dessert!