Weeknights can be hectic around many households. Sometimes we just need convenient foods but, we still want to feed our family healthy meals without spending too much time in the kitchen with all the other things that have to be done like homework and shuffling the kids here and there. I have found a few shortcuts from the frozen department of my local markets. This is a great dish because you can swap out the meatballs for turkey meatballs and change around the sauce and veggies too. See how quick and easy this is to throw together. Tastes really good too.
Shortcut Meatball Pasta Bake
Servings 4 to 6
- 1 box penne pasta, 16 ounce
- 1 jar approx. 25 ounce size of your favorite bottled marinara sauce
- 16 to 20 frozen meatballs, use a favorite brand
- 1 cup frozen mixed sliced peppers
- 1/2 cup grated cheese, mozzarella or mild cheddar works well
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric, optiona
- 1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, have a large casserole or baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook pasta to al dente. Try not to over cook and make too soft. Drain and pour into casserole dish.
- Pour sauce over pasta and gently mix in.
- Microwave the meatballs just until they are not frozen solid. Set aside while you add the other ingredients.
- Toss in parmesan, grated cheddar or mozzarella, along with garlic, onion, and turmeric powders. Mix gently. Add in the peppers. They can be frozen or microwave just a minute or two to soften them up a bit.
- Fold in the meatballs. Mix gently not to break them apart. (Save a few for garnishing the top of casserole as shown in photo)
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes until hot. You will probably see some bubbling. Take out, let sit on the counter for a few minutes. Sprinkle a little more parmesan, this is optional.
Enjoy this hearty and yummy meal!