Thanks to Regina for another one of her fabulous recipes. This one is full of flavor and so easy to prepare. Enjoy!
This recipe was inspired by a breakfast casserole from a very old cookbook. I was looking for another way to use Italian Sausage links. Granted the recipe I saw used breakfast sausage and was baked with a delicious sounding egg mixture, but many of the other ingredients were the same. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did.
Sausage and Mushrooms in a Light Cream Sauce
Yields: 4 to 6 servings
- 6 Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 10 oz pkg mushrooms, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 oz spinach
- 1 cup fat free half & half
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Break up sausage and cook until nicely browned. Remove from pan to a medium bowl and set aside. With a paper towel wipe the excess oil from the pan.
- Set the pan on medium heat then add 1 tbsp of oil and the mushrooms. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms start releasing their juices.
- Push the mushroom to the edges of the pan, then add the garlic, shallot and 1 tsp of oil to the center. Cook about 4 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and the onions begin to be translucent.
- Add the spinach to the pan and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Then add the sausage back to the pan.
- Combine the cornstarch with an equal amount of the half & half and mix until lumps are gone. Add this mixture with the remaining half and half, plus the black pepper to the pan. Simmer for about 7 to 10 minutes until heated through and sauce begins to thicken.
- Serve over pasta or even some white kidney beans for a gluten fee twist.