My good friend Nancy gave me this recipe a very long time ago. I have been making it for years and my family loves them.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 sticks melted salted butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Seedless raspberry jam
- 12-oz package dark chocolate chips
- Beat eggs. Add sugar and almond extract. Add melted butter slowly. Add flour.
- Divide batter into thirds. Add 10 drops of red food dye into one portion. Add 10 drops of green food dye into another.
- Grease with butter 3 oblong cake pans (approx. 12 1/4 x 8 1/4 x 1 1/4). Add batter. Bake 10 minutes at 350. Watch so you do not over bake. The cake should look dry with tiny holes, like a piece a bread. Cool cake.
- Layer cake. On a piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet place one cake layer. Spread jam. Add another cake layer. Spread jam. Top with remaining cake layer. Add another piece of wax paper, then cookie sheet on top. Place a weight onto cake to flatten.
- Note: I place it in the refrigerator overnight at this point. My friend never did and her’s always came out fine.
- Melt chocolate chips. Spread 1/2 on top. Refrigerate until set. Flip cake and cover with remaining chocolate. Refrigerate until set.
- Cut into 1 inch cubes.