This recipe is a copycat from my dear friend Nicole and her daughter Gianna who happens to be my son Josh’s BFF. They are both great cooks and bakers. These cookies melt in your mouth and are chewy and delicious.
Patriotic M&M Butter Cookies
Makes about 32 cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour, I used this brand
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, I used this brand
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups light or dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, I use this brand
- Red White and Blue M&M candies for topping
Directions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees, line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the melted butter along with the sugars until creamy. Add in the vanilla and eggs until well combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the two flours along with the salt and baking soda. Slowly add that into the wet mixture. Dig deep into the bottom of the bowl to make sure all dry ingredients are well incorporated. Try not to over mix.
- Chill dough for about 2 hours.
- Using a small to medium cookie scoop place balls onto cookie sheet and lightly press down with M&Ms.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or just until edges start to turn a little golden. The center will still be on the softer side. Try not to over bake if you want a chewy cookie. Let cookie sheet cool on wire rack for about 15 minutes then slide paper off onto wire rack to cool another 15 minutes.
Cookies can be stored in an air tight container up to 3 days on counter or in fridge up to 6 days. You can also freeze up to 1 month.