Submitted By: Liz Hughes
Ever since I realized that steaming brussels sprouts is not the best way to cook these little circular wonders, I’ve been obsessed. I can truly say I love this green globe shaped veggie. My favorite preparartion is shredded and sautéed with olive oil, red pepper flakes and kosher salt – easy peasy! I also love them sliced in half and roasted with a litlle bit of balsamic. Again, super simple and incredibly delicious. This recipe will knock your socks off!
Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes, cut 1/2 inch
- 1 lb. brussel sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Bobby Flay’s Crispy Shallots:
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large shallots, sliced into thin rings
- Heat oil in a large flat bottom sauce pan on medium high. Add squash and let sit until edges start to turn golden brown (3-5 minutes).
- Stir squash so that other sides brown as well for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add brussels sprouts, vinegar and salt.
- Cook on medium for 5- 8 minutes or until sprouts are of desired doneness.
- Sprinkle shallots and gorgonzola on top. Serve immediately.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan until it reaches 360°F on a deep-fat thermometer.
- Put the flour on a large plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, dredge the shallots in the flour. Transfer them to a large slotted spoon or spider and tap off the excess flour.
- Fry the shallots in batches, stirring a few times, until light golden brown and crisp, 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
Makes 1 side dish