Growing up my mom would open a can of chicken and stars soup when we were home sick from school. That was her special treat when we were feeling bad. Years after that, she started making the soup from scratch. Once she found the little star pasta, it was an even bigger treat for us knowing this was homemade. I recently found my mom Ruthie’s recipe and now I’m sharing it with you. I changed things up alittle. She made her own stock. I go the more convenient way and use the cartons of low sodium chicken or veggie stock. My kids love my version like I loved my mom’s.
Old Fashioned Chicken and Stars Soup
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery with greens attached, cut into large or small pieces
- 4-6 raw chicken tenders
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots, I use the carrots already shredded in a bag
- 1 tsp “Better than Bullion” or 1 packet/cube chicken bullion, Without MSG added.
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- sea or kosher salt to taste when soup finished cooking
- 1 cup little star pasta
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- In a large pot, pour stock in and add onion and celery. Cook until boiling. Add in chicken, shredded carrots, bullion, pepper, onion and garlic powder. Bring back to a boil, stir on and off until chicken is fully cooked. (Juices should run clear when cut into each piece)
- Take out chicken and shred or slice and put back into the pot. Bring back to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook as per package instructions.
- Whole cooking time should be under 1 hour. Sometimes as fast as 30 minutes. When chicken and carrots are tender. Your soup is ready to spoon up.
- Serve with some warm Challah bread or soft dinner roll.