Growing up on Long Island, we always had Diners all over the place. In every town were at least one. Now, in my town alone, there are four! In Manhattan, it seems like there’s bunches on every street. What is great about a Diner is there are so many things on the menu. Everything comes out fresh and always so appetizing looking. They serve breakfast all day long and have “Blue Plate Specials” daily.
A Hot Open Turkey happens to be my husbands favorite menu item to order for dinner. We always grab some off his plate because they pile on the turkey and gravy. You always get a choice of two sides. This past weekend was my husbands birthday and instead of going out he asked me to make him his favorite meal from our favorite diner around the corner. This is the easiest recipe. At least the way I make it. He even said he liked mine better. Not sure if he was really hungry or he meant it but, it really did taste good and my son and I enjoyed it just as much as the Diner. Here you go, make this soon. It’s a winner!
New York Diner Blue Plate Special – Hot Open Turkey and Gravy
- 1 pound cooked turkey breast, I bought from my deli department of my market. All natural turkey breast sliced thinly.
- 1 medium onion sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper, optional
- 1/8 tps or pinch sea or kosher salt, optional
- 1 jar turkey gravy, I used an 18 ounce jar
- 8 slices white or whole wheat bread, I used whole wheat potato bread
- 1/2 cup each of any side dish of choice, as seen in the photo, I served corn and roasted potato wedges
- In a large nonstick pan, heat butter or oil and add onion and ground pepper and salt if using. Loosely cover pan, cook onions until soft on low to medium heat for about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir frequently. Stir in jarred turkey gravy. Cook until completely heated.
- Place the pound of sliced turkey into the microwave for just about 30 seconds to warm up.
- Lay out 2 slices of bread on each dinner plate. Place turkey on each slice of bread.
- Pour gravy over each slice with the turkey. Add your sides and serve. Enjoy this New York Diner Favorite!