This recipe came about because my daughter, being away at college, wanted me to send her a “mom” care package. I sent her a bunch of things like nice warm sweaters and comfy slippers. I also threw in lots of gum and her favorite chocolate bars. So….. I had to send some of my goodies that were not only yummy but healthy as well. She loves my gluten free peanut butter cookies and a few others so that went in too. I thought this up while having coffee the other morning. It’s easy to make and has a nice amount of fiber and good carbs to keep her going with the late nights of studying. Give this recipe and try and hope you enjoy them. They are really delish!
Nutrition: calories 116, fat 1.7 g, carbs 22.7 g, fiber 4.4 g, sugars 4.7 g, sodium 173. 1 mg, protein 3 g
Moist And Delicious Healthy Bran Muffins
Makes 12 yummy muffins
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice sugar
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, or any oil you want
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 large or extra large egg
- 1 egg white lightly beaten with the egg
- 1/2 cup baby food applesauce
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, optional
- 2 packets Stevia all natural sweetener
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- 1 1/2 Tbsp turbanado sugar or evaporated cane juice sugar mixed with
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, mist a muffin pan with baking spray in the cups and all over the top and set aside.
- In a medium to large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. (The first 5 ingredients) Set aside while you get the wet ready.
- In a medium bowl, add the rest of the ingredients except the currants and cinnamon sugar mixture. Using a whisk, combine well.
- Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and mix gently with a rubber spatula. Make sure you dig deep down to get all the flour well incorporated. Try not to over mix.
- Fold the currants into the batter and using an ice cream scoop, fill 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over each muffin and bake for about 15 to 22 minutes. Turn the pan around after 10 minutes for even baking.
- Muffins are done with a toothpick or wooden skewer comes out clean or with dry crumbs. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes then invert onto the wire rack.