Homemade Nutella – This version is so decadent yet, best part is its’ lower in fat and calories. Dive in with a spoon, you will love it. Enjoy!
If you are familiar with our recipes, then you already know that we have a few of them made with Nutella. It’s sweet, nutty and oh so delish! The only problem is that is that Nutella is high in fat, so in my recipes I have to use it sparingly. Well, I came up with this amazing, healthy, lower fat version that tastes just as good or even better. It was so hard not to keep dipping my spoon into the finished product! I brought my skinny Nutella over to my next door neighbor, who happens to be the maven on anything Nutella, and she loved it. Try this with fresh fruit or toast up a baguette and spread some on.
By the way, my version has a bit more texture than original Nutella; I love having little pieces of hazelnut throughout. If you prefer a smoother Nutella, just whirl it in the food processor a little more. Have fun with it and enjoy!
Makes about 1 1/2 cups, 24 heaping tablespoons
Nutrition: per 2 tablespoons, calories 66.1, fat 2.1 g, carbs 10.7 g, fiber 0.5 g, sugar 8.8 g, sodium 19.2 mg, protein 1.4 g
- 3/4 cup skinned hazelnuts — toasted
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp honey or agave
- 1/4 tsp fine sea or kosher salt
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder– not Dutch processed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for about 15 minutes until lightly toasted. Cool for a few minutes and then run them though a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to get the skins off. You can even roll a few at a time in your palms and the skins will come off this way as well. This takes only a couple of minutes. Don’t worry if you can’t get all of the skins off. Cool, and set aside for a few minutes.
- Microwave the chips in a microwave safe dish for about 15 seconds, remove and stir. Repeat for about 10 seconds or until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Set that aside to cool to room temp.
- Take your hazelnuts and place in food processor or mini electric chopper and pulse until they look like a paste. You will want to scrape the sides down a few times to evenly grind.
- Add the condensed milk, nectar/honey and salt. Continue to blend. Add the vanilla and cocoa powder. Add the cooled melted chocolate. Keep scraping the sides and pulse until all is combined and the Nutella is at your desired texture.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Place your favorite fruit, cracker or (my favorite) toasted baguette around your dish of your homemade goodness.
Enjoy this heavenly treat without the guilt!