A simple recipe for a delicious classic dessert. Enjoy the warm spices of cinnamon in this delectable baked bread pudding.
Here is a really easy and yummy recipe for bread pudding. I tried so many recipes and finally came up with one I really liked. I did try using whole wheat bread but in this case I didn’t like the texture so I went with an Italian bread that was surprising very low in calories and fat. I found this bread in the bakery department of the market in the white paper sleeves. Look for one that has about 140 calories per serving and no more than 1 gram of fat.
Nutrition: Serves 9 – calories 151 , fat 2.4, carbs 26.8, fiber 1, protein 5.3
Warm Cinnamon Bread Pudding
- One 7 ounce loaf Italian bread, found in the deli or bakery department of the market
- 1 cup Egg beaters (or the store brand)
- 2 cups 2 % milk or any non dairy milk, I used almond for this recipe
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp fine sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp butter or vegan margarine, melted and cooled
- Light whipped aerosol cream, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have ready a 9 x 9 non stick pan sprayed with cooking spray ready.
- Cut the bread in cubes and toast in the oven for about 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk the Egg Beaters, soy milk, vanilla, salt and cinnamon until well combined. Set aside.
- Toss the toasted bread in the prepared pan and then pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Press down with a spatula or clean hands until the mixture has covered the bread. Some pieces will pop up but that’s OK.
- Pour the melted butter over the pudding.
- Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons brown sugar over the top.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes. Turn the pan around half way through baking time. A tooth pick should come out clean and the pudding should be golden brown. Let sit a few minutes and then spoon out 9 servings.