This easy peazy cake is fun to make with the kids. Let them whisk up the pudding and spread on the whipped topping. Great for any time of year. Always a big hit with family and friends.
Lively Lemon Pudding Poke Cake
- 1 package (2-layer size) white cake mix
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 quart cold milk – I used 2 percent
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 packages (4 serving size) of instant lemon pudding mix – I used sugar free
- 1 tub Cool Whip or non-dairy whipped topping – I used the light version
- Lemon zest and lemon wedge for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside
- Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on package using the egg whites, water and oil.
- With an electric or handheld mixer, mix ingredients for 2 minutes.
- With a rubber spatula, make sure all ingredients are combined and pour into pan.
- Bake as directed on package – try not to overbake.
- Remove from oven and let it cool on wire rack for ten minutes.
- Poke holes down through cake to bottom of pan with round handle of wooden spoon.
- Prepare pudding
- Pour about half of the mixture evenly over warm cake and into holes.
- Let remaining pudding mixture stand until slightly thickened. Spoon over top of cake and spread.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take out, spread whipped topping, garnish with lemon zest and wedge
- Place in fridge for another 2 hours.
Slice up and dig in!