Flan is a nice, light dessert that tastes so decadent. It’s a simple recipe that shouldn’t be for special occasions only. Enjoy this luscious treat!
A while back my husband and I went on vacation in Aruba. We had a wonderful dinner and now it was time for dessert. One of the desserts offered was flan. At the time I had never tried flan and had no desire to. But, the waiter told me to try it and he promised I would like it. To my surprise, I loved it! The texture was so light and creamy.
This is my version of that lovely dessert I had with my husband (who by the way, liked it so much he got it the next night for dessert). Just a quick note: this recipe is so easy to prepare and you can cut the ingredients in half to make three servings if you don’t want to make all six. On top of all that, look at the calories and fat. Have two!
Light Luscious Citrus Flan
Yields 6 servings
- 2 large or extra-large eggs
- 2 large or extra-large egg whites
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 8 tbsp honey
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp orange extract (optional)
- 1/4 tsp fine sea or kosher salt
- zest from 1 whole orange, plus extra for decorating
- zest from half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, extra for sprinkling on top
- Aerosol whipped topping for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Spray 6 oven-proof custard cups or ramekins with cooking spray and put one tablespoon of honey in each cup. I suggest spraying the spoon with cooking spray for the honey to slide right off.
- Place the cups on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes to caramelize the honey.
- Remove the cups from oven and let cool down.
- In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl whisk the milk, eggs, egg whites, 2 tablespoons honey, cinnamon, vanilla extract, orange and lemon zest, orange extract (optional) and salt. Whisk well until nice and fluffy.
- Now have a baking pan ready filled half way with cold water.
- Fill each cup with the custard mixture and gently set in the pan filled with water. Be sure no water gets into the cups. The water should be almost half way up each cup.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until firm to the touch. Remove and cool.
- You can eat them when they cool off or place in fridge and chill. When ready to serve, invert the Flan on a dessert plate. You may need to take a knife and go around the rim to loosen up a bit. Sprinkle with cinnamon and more orange zest and ENJOY!