Red velvet cakes, cupcakes and cookies have been huge lately and almost every bakery, cupcake shop and restaurant has their own version — of course most of the time theirs are loaded with fat and calories. Many years ago when I lived in Atlanta, before I started catering, one of my neighbors brought me a plate of red velvet cookies that were so yummy. I never forgot how wonderful those cookies tasted. When I started catering I always had requests to make red velvet cake so I came up with a recipe but of course way back then I put tons of butter and sugar in it.
So here is my new and improved slimmer version of those wonderful cookies I had in Atlanta. Now I make these with cookie mix and they are so easy to put together in no time at all. We all love them around here and I hope you all love them in your home too!
Nutrition: per 2 cookies – calories 149.4, fat 4.9 g, carbs 24.6 g, fiber 0.5 g, sugar 12.8 g, sodium 121 mg, protein 2.1
Light and Lovely Red Velvet Cake Cookies
- 1 pouch (1lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (not Dutch processed)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- Colored sprinkles or powdered sugar for decoration (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl using a wire whisk, mix together cookie mix and sift in the cocoa powder. This is an important step so you don’t get clumps of cocoa powder.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients (except the sprinkles or powdered sugar). You can now switch to a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- When all is combined, place in fridge for about 1/2 hour to firm up just a little (its okay if you skip this step). This step makes the batter a little softer and easier to work with
- Spoon batter onto cookie sheet to make 16 cookies. If you like, throw a few sprinkles over each cookie. Bake on middle rack of oven one cookie sheet at a time. After 4 minutes turn the cookie sheet around and bake another 4-5 minutes. The cookies will look set. Try not to over bake.
- Spoon out 16 more cookies from the dough and repeat step 4.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional)
ENJOY these wonderful cookies!
More Fabulous Cookie Recipes: