This is another slimmed down version of my dear friend and neighbor’s banana bread. Celene’s bread was so good that I asked her for her recipe so that I can make it “my way” she was nice enough to share it with me (thanks Celene!). I cut out most of the full stick of butter in the original recipe and made it without chocolate chips. I love this fiber rich cinnamon banana bread. It’s not too sweet and it is delish!
Nutrition (per slice): calories 187, fat 3.2, carbs. 37, fiber 2.5, protein 4
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters (or any brand will do)
- 2 tbsp butter (melted; then cooled for a few minutes)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 4 oz jar baby applesauce
- 3 medium bananas
- 1/2 cup light sour cream (if you can find Daisy Fresh that’s my favorite)
- 1 1/2 – 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a loaf pan with cooking or baking spray
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add one teaspoon of the cinnamon.
- In a separate medium bowl, mash the bananas along with the baby applesauce, sugar, vanilla and cooled melted butter. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes. This step is important because it allows for the sugar and banana mixture to combine.
- After 5 minutes add the sour cream.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients (do not overmix) and let sit for a few minutes.
- Pour half the mixture into a loaf pan.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with the 1 teaspoon sugar and sprinkle half on top. Save the rest for later.
- Add the rest of the mixture to the loaf pan and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for at least 65-75 minutes. The bread should be nice and brown on top and along the sides of the glass baking pan. A wooden skewer should come out clean with a few moist pieces. Turn the bread around in the oven half way through the baking time and start testing the bread after 65 minutes.
- When done, let banana bread cool in pan for at least 1/2 hour and then invert onto a wire cooling rack. Cool about 15 minutes or, cut and enjoy.
Makes 12 slices
More Delectable Bread Recipes: