Thanks to our friend Jessica for sharing this great recipe. You’re going to love this simple soup recipe with just the right amount of spice from the chorizo. Enjoy!
I love soup. Especially in the cold, cold winter. Soup warms me up, fills me up and has endless flavors and combinations. When I have time to run out for lunch during the week, I always want a nice, hot soup. However, it is unfortunately one of the more mysterious food choices in midtown Manhattan. Sure, places like Hale and Hearty now advertise when soups are dairy free, gluten free and vegetarian (thank you!) but the sugar count remains a mystery. And all bets are off when I swing by a a deli with those sketchy soup labels. I’ve had one too many instances of ‘getting glutened’ or a sneak attack sugar overload from soup so I have to stay away more often than I’d like. So what is one to do when you can’t trust packaged and prepared foods? Make it yourself.
One thing I love about this soup is the short list of ingredients that are ready to be tossed in the pot. You don’t even need salt or pepper (unless you really want it) because the taste of the chorizo adds so much flavor. The kale incorporates some leafy greens while the chick peas add fiber and texture.
Kale Chorizo and Chick Pea Tomato Soup
Yields: 6 servings
- 3 c. Kale (shredded)
- 1/2 lb. Gluten Free Chicken Chorizo Sausage
- 28 oz. can Organic Crushed or Chunky Tomatoes
- 32 oz. Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 c. Chick Peas
- 6 qt. Pot
- Place the pot over a low to medium flame and add the tomatoes, stock, chick peas and kale.
- Slice the sausage and remove the casing so you can crumble the chorizo into the pot. Make sure you choose a healthier chicken sausage that is gluten free
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, then lower the flame to a simmer for the next 30 to 45 minutes.
- When you start to really smell this deliciously spicy soup, pop some gluten free bread into the toaster and add some butter to make this a yummy comfort food meal.
Note: For Jessica’s original post.